I wanted to have a discussion today on this beautiful weekend day about the Google Analytics WordPress Plugin that I use for WordPress. Something crossed my mind recently, I have not pontificated (fancy dancy two dollar words for sale) on how to add certain key plugins to your arsenal of wordpress blogging awesomeness! The biggest plugin that I want to talk about today, the Google Analytics WordPress Plugin was discussed briefly in the Top 10 Free WordPress Plugins To Boost Your Blog. Now, it is time to go more in-depth on the Google Analytics WordPress Plugin.
Unless you have some type of pro or enterprise analytics that you are using for your website or blog then you really need Google Analytics to start with anyways. Google analytics is enterprise analytics for free. Probably the single greatest contribution they have made for webmasters ever in my mind. This allows you to understand exactly who is checking out your site, what they are doing, and how they found you.
So, now that you know what Google analytics is, let’s talk about how to install the Google Analytics WordPress plugin! Yeah baby! Yeah!
Add Google Analytics WordPress Plugin
- Go to your dashboard
- Scroll down on the left hand side until you see Plugins.
- Click Add New Plugins
- Search For “Google Analytics”
- There are a few options. I am using “Google Analytics For WordPress” right now, but have used “Google Analyticator” in the past and currently on other blogs. For now we will go with Google Analytics For WordPress. Click install.
- The next step is to activate the plugin.
- Once you have done this plugin installed, your Google Analytics should be active. You can scroll down to find it in your Settings Tab on the left hand side.
- In your settings tab, you should have the option of logging into Google Analytics(you need a gmail account) and connecting Google Analytics to WordPress
- Now, if you do not have your site information on Google, you will need to add new website at the bottom of Google Analytics. Follow Google’s steps.
- Go back to the Google Analytics WordPress Plugin in settings. You should be able to determine which website is being tracked by Google, by the scroll down screen at the top.
- After that, just remember that under Advanced settings to ignore Administrators. This way, you will not be counted every time you go on your own site.
That is it! You are now a little wiser, and a little more analytical about how to use the Google Analytics WordPress Plugin.
Great information – I’m a HUGE fan of Google Analytics. I try not to become obsessive about it, but I do check each morning and once a week take a close look at where the traffic is coming from, bounce rate, etc. It’s a great tool!
I have the same challenge that I want to make sure that I know what my numbers are, but do not want to be obsessive about my traffic stats.
Thanks for sharing this great information on how to install this very important plugin.
Google Analytics is a truly amazing service for marketers.. it generates comprehensive site statistics for your site , for free.
If you want to optimize your site or blog, this is a “Must have” plugin.
There are so many site metrics that you can view and analyze and make sure that your site is performing the way you need it to.
This is a very easy plugin to install and your instructions should be very helpful to everyone.
Keep sharing and schmoozing,
This is definitely a “Must Have” plugin!