I wanted to do this old school today, so lets focus on the basics of social networking optimization. A lot has been changing over the past few months in social networking. A new contender has arose to steal the crown from Facebook, Skype is now part of the Microsoft family, and Twitter and Facebook were at the forefront of revolutions across Northern Africa and the Middle East.
With all this swirling around us, I wanted to focus on social networking optimization and how it can help you improve your business.
What is Social Networking Optimization?
Social networking optimization is the process of making sure that your social network sites are optimized so you can create effective relationships with your social network that can turn into profitable relationships. In vernacular, social networking optimization is how you turn relationships created or built through social networking into clients.
5 Steps Towards Social Networking Optimization
- Go through your connections to determine which relationships to keep and which to drop. For example, since I maxed out on Facebook last year I have been very limited on who I could add to my network. I recently just went through my Facebook connections to remove those that I have not really talked with since we connected. The reality is that I have made as many, or probably even more connections who do not talk to me as do. What is the point of having a friend if they are just wasting space? I would rather have fewer people who are looking to interact with me.
- That means that I need to reach out to my connections as well. You can do that through the obvious methods of tweets, updates, posts, but also do not forget other means. You can always individually email them, Facebook message, LinkedIn Inmail, @mention your connections. Also, do not forget other medium. Skype conversations are huge, as I can also see Google hangout becoming a key part of the new social network with their multiple video chat option.
- Have something interesting to say. I might some times be a little “too” creative in my posts. However, I am rarely boring.
- Focus on others as well! I always know when my social media shares, etc are down. It is because I have not been on the ball with sharing other people’s information. The more proactive I am in sharing other people’s info the more people are willing to spread the word on my information. We will all have peaks and valleys with this, but over time you will see what I mean by the more you give others on social networking the more you receive.
- Make things engaging. For example! Take this poll to rate how optimized your social networking really is based on the 5 points above. Each topic is one point. Any comments you have on the poll put in the comment area.Ooh! Another way to demonstrate engagement.
There you go! Social Networking Optimization at work! What do you need to work more on with your social networking optimization?
These are great tips about optimizing the use of social networking sites… Especially clearing your list of unwanted followers/friends! I would much rather have a smaller list of people with quality interaction, than a long list of people who don’t make an effort to keep up with me and comment back and forth/etc.
That is exactly what I am shooting for, plus once I flush out those who are not looking to build a relationship I can connect with those who actually can mutually beneficial.
Interesting that you have recently deleted some of your Facebook Friends. This past week, I did a cleanse of many of my Twitter followers. When I first joined Twitter, I used to love all the short uplifting posts. Now, I see so much self-serving marketing that it is annoying. I have started to delete those marketers from my Twitter people so I can once again look at my Twitter page and be inspired.
Same idea with me! The only difference is that some of these Facebook friends were getting in the middle of me being able to connect with people I know in Chicago. Down to 3880 friends on Facebook now. Looking to replace the people I did not speak to with valued contacts.
On my scope of industry, social networking is not very much applicable so I rate my social networking optimization 1 out of 5. But I do want to connect with other people just to share thoughts and ideas and the tips you shared will definitely be of good use to me. Thanks! 🙂
Cool! Let me know if you need some help optimizing your social networking in order to connect with people.
Good list for being pro-active in social media. We all have to keep in mind that targeted followers are worth so much more than pure numbers. Don’t get seduced by the numbers.
I totally agree about focus on others. The more you give in social media; the more you get back. Don’t we love to return the favor for people who are spreading the word about us? By and large, folks involved in social media and internet marketing do. See you ’round the water cooler!
Quality over Quantity is definitely hard to keep in mind sometimes with social media. Business owners get the eyes wider than their mouth dilemma.
I am thirsty for more water!
Periodically, I’ve done all the things you recommend. However, I don’t think I post often enough. The summer was challenging and I’m looking forward to re-committing myself this Fall.
Definitely staying consistent with your posting will increase your social networking power.
1. It is hard if you have too many friends, but yes I agree, you can remove inactive/fake accounts. Not so easy to do on all social networking sites.
2. Again I don’t believe mass email action could make a difference but yes you ca use manageflitter on twitter for example.
3. Everybody are boring some day, again, yes, if you are able to use interesting facts, news, gossip, etc , people will feel you like a special friend. It is easy if you use some very high rank sites and/or pics, videos, funny, weird things.
4. Here you have 100% right, will be interesting to socialize in an original way, for example I have a lot of friends on facebook and I made a simple youtube video for this end of the year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJHLvDpW9h8
5. Need other level of engagement but your points are a good start
Finally you can check your ”social life” by checking your rank in google. It is simple for me to know if you just arrived or you are a social master.