Schmooze It Or Lose It took place yesterday, and I thought I would review with everyone my notes for what I did right and what I could improve upon with my seminar. For those of you who have never used a seminar to attract clients it is definitely something to throw in the mix and test out at least once.
Seminar In Review Positives
- I was initially going to use a hotel for my seminar, and instead created a stronger relationship with a client. We held the seminar at his office, and it rocked! I definitely have to give praise to Noah Helfand and his guys over at First Data for hosting this seminar. Thanks!
- Know your information. One of the things that really made this seminar work was that I knew the information I was discussing cold. That made it easier to have a more conversational approach to the seminar. There are too many seminars where people look like they need to stay on target with the presentation they created or they will not be able to provide value. We were able to cover more, because although I had an outline and Google Presentation up, I barely looked at it.
- Have a great introduction. While I will not ruin it for those who did not attend, I definitely did not take a conventional approach to my introduction. That made a huge difference in the presentation, and set the tone for the entire day.
Seminar In Review Negatives
- Be wary of too much content. I could have spent the entire 3 hours discussing Facebook and LinkedIn. We went over, which was bad on me. I definitely should have pared down the information to keep on target.
- This goes with the first item, but I had to speed up the information as we moved closer to the end, because I knew I was not going to be able to cover everything. Slowing down is useful as well.
- This will be the last seminar that I do by myself for a long time. I did the marketing, arrangements, supplies, and presented. It was too much, and my attendance numbers could be a lot higher with more people invol
ved with different roles in the event.
All in all I was very happy with event, and for my first live seminar this went very well!
Now, I am going to take a break and enjoy the beautiful sunny day, basking in the fact that I had a great seminar yesterday,and am spending it with my wife today.