I just spoke at WordCamp St. Louis on 7 Scientifically Proven Steps To Engage Your Blog Readers. As usual, it was a smashing success. Of course, I say that with a modicum of modesty.
Here is a quick review of the talk, along with the some extras that I gave to my audience. The key here is to juggle and juggle often! Well, that is not the only key. However, I always like to mix in juggling and blog discussions.
7 Scientific Things Every Blog Post Needs
- Write to your audience- Do you know who reads your content? Or are you throwing a hail Mary hoping the world reacts to your information?
- Tell stories- Life is all about stories. Since the earliest cave man started sharing stories around the campfire, our society has grown around the stories. If you don’t believe me, then ask people if they like Star Trek or Star Wars more? Maybe there are some Harry Potter fans in the crowd? Stories are the bridge between entertainment and education of your topic.
- Personality -AKA Have a sense of humor! My continual struggle to fight the boredom that pervades so many articles. ZZZ!!! Did you fall asleep!
- Different Forms of Media- I discuss my thoughts on Howard Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences
- Optimize for SEO and Social Media- Search and social traffic are the top two traffic sources. Make sure to optimize your posts for both
- Formatting- Make sure that your site is not just web accessible, but easy for all users to understand and follow visually.
- How to advice
- Bonus: Third Parties
- Bonus: Edit Your Stink Werk!- if ur grammer as bad as an elefant writing in crayons than u need to check your werk.
One more example of me juggling and talking about blogging…
— WordCamp STL (@wordcampstl) May 14, 2016
If you want to get a copy of the Blogging for Business slides, here you go:
Get the expanded premium video training: https://andynathan.net/scientificblogging
Let me know if you have any questions on the blogging content in the comments below.