The key to this article is quality backlinks! Everyone can get the low quality, let Google slap you hard low value backlinks. However, quality backlinks are about providing authority links back to your site, so it demonstrates to Google and other search engines why your site deserves additional traffic.
Keep in mind that while quality backlinks are a crucial part of your search strategy, you also have to focus on other features of search engines, such as great keyword research, quality content, and social usage on your site (comments, RT, likes, shares, +1, diggs, etc.).
That is why as much as you need to focus on having quality backlinks you also need to keep an eye out for creating a quality site in general. If you only have great backlinks and keywords then your site will not succeed when people only see jumbled words and poorly thought out content that looks like it is from a ghost town.
Keep this in mind as we discuss the backlinking strategies below to be part of a whole and not the entire search engine optimization process.
5 Quality Backlinks Strategies
- Article Marketing-While Google recently downgraded articles directories with the Panda Update. That being said, article marketing is still one of the best methods to get quality backlinks for your site.
- Guest Blog Posts-This is related to article marketing, because you still need to write an actual article. The difference here is that you are writing an article for a blog or online newspaper versus article marketing traditionally done through article directories. Consider this an offshoot of article marketing. For those interested in guest blogging feel free to check out our Guest Blogging guidelines.
- Social Bookmarking-Digg, Delicious, Reddit, Stumbleupon, Mister Wong, and the list of social bookmarking sites goes on and on for a long while. Social bookmarking sites are sites dedicated to bookmarking websites throughout the web.
- Forum Backlinks-I have been addicted to Warrior Forum lately. From their amazing WSO’s to the awesome community of Internet Marketers. This is a great place to connect with other internet marketers. It is also a great place for quality backlinks, because every time you reply to someone or post on the forum you are creating backlinks for your sites.
- Comment Backlinks-Read a great blog post on social networking, seo, internet marketing, business, etc. Write a comment telling the author so, get rewarded by Google for the quality backlinks.
The great thing about creating quality backlinks is that you get the dual benefit of some traffic from the sites you provide the backlink from and also traffic from Google. That is the benefit of having quality backlinks.
Commenting on forums do not provide quality backlinks. Commenting on newspaper sites is a better idea. Also advertising on local directory sites will provide you with better quality backlinks than in forums. IMHO
The best solution is to link from twitter to Squidoo to your blog to you-tube to your press release et al.
I agree that commenting on newspaper sites is sometimes better. However, most newspapers are pretty limiting on what you can put in your comments. Forums might not always be the highest quality, but they do provide an opportunity to get massive amounts of valid backlinks. Plus, I have fun interacting on sites, such as WarriorForum for backlinks.
This is definitely true and I couldn’t agree more about backlinks. Exactly why we have a blogger outreach program which does wonders for businesses. Let’s see if it works;)
A blogger outreach program?
Thanks for these tips! I miss the cartoon – but quality advice is always good too, I *guess.* 😉
I will do my best not to be too serious in the future! 🙂
Great list Andy … I just realized how long it’s been since I’ve visited Warrior Forum so I’ll have to take another look. Thanks for the information and inspiration!
Warrior Forum rocks! Good to know you are a warrior as well!
Recently I’ve been pondering over how to create more traffic on my blog, you’ve given me many great ideas to mull over. I look forward to watching traffic increase using your tips.
Much Thanks –
Terrific Tonya Heathco
National Seizure Disorders Foundation
Let me know what you decide to do in order to increase traffic!
Thanks for sharing this quality list for best practices to get quality backlinks.
As you stated, this is only part of the overall SEO picture and your strategy has to be well rounded. Nothing beats fresh, quality content on a consistent basis.
I’m another one who hasn’t been on Warrior Forum for a while and have to get back there.
Keep schmoozing and sharing,
Fresh, quality content is the entire basis of my blog, so I would have to agree.
These are all great ways to get quality backlinks, I do all of these myself so I know these work.
One method I’d add though is creating killer content. People always link back to things they find helpful and useful. This is an easy way to get plenty of backlinks.
I agree with the killer content! Some of my best articles get a lot of traffic, because of the extra backlinks.
Thanks for the great tips on how we can improve our SEO. I agree with you on creating quality site. You can have lots of backlinks out there but if the site’s content is junk, then it does not help and no one will bother staying on the site. We have to put our visitors in mind and know we are writing for people not just for search engines.
Glad this post was useful and that we are on the same page with the site content.
According to me content is also playing equivalent role with quality backlinks.Because after Google Panda update Google is giving much priority to quality content.So I will recommend quality content to all link builders with quality backlinks.
BTW very informative blog post on quality backlinks.
Definitely provide quality content. There is a definite swing back to some of the more manual types of article writing in the past few months as people deal with how to live in a post spinning world.
Article marketing has taken a huge hit several months ago, but it still has its uses and still provides some good backlinks. I’m saying this because I have read a lot of articles lately saying that article marketing is a dead method. And I refuse to believe that.
I would love to hear your take on this.
I think for link farms it will hurt. However, for original content there is a lot of benefits. That just means to be successful it will take a little bit more work.
Does that help?
Thanks! It does help.